If the income from the property meets any of the conditions specified below, the concept of tax on rental income will not apply.
- If the landlord makes money by renting out his or her farmhouse.
- If the landlord rents out their property to the local authorities and receives money from them.
- If the landlord is receiving income by renting out their property to a government-approved and recognised scientific research association.
- Any rental income received from renting out property to an educational institute, a trade union, or a political party is not subject to tax on rental income in India in 2021-22.
- Property owners who have rented out their property for charitable purposes are not required to pay tax on rental income.
- Property owners that are running their own business from the property.
- The concept of tax on rental income won’t apply to self-occupied property.